Great venue, great weather and an overall great race....that is how I would describe the 2012 Timberman 70.3. After scouting out the course 2 weeks before in 97 degree heat, I was excited to be back...and this time to mornings in the 50's with highs in the 70's. With water temperature in the mid 70's it was turning into a great weather race for me. I typically do better in cooler temps as growing up in Rochester, NY- where fall and spring can be brutal and where winter can be beyond brutal - has not adapted me well to high temperatures. Even though this summer has been a hot one anytime the weather can be cooler I welcome it with open arms.
This race was also one where I would be racing with some good friends. I had my training partner Mike Hoffman and fellow friend Matt Curbeau toeing the line as well. Mike was hoping to qualify for Vegas in the 25-29 AG and Matt was hoping for an Overall Amateur title.
The weekend started off well with an uneventful ride to New Hampshire where we were fortunate enough to stay at the Dix family lakehouse on Webster Lake. Thanks so much Dave and Molly!
Saturday morning Chels and I woke up to rain to meet Matt and his mom at Kitchen Cravings for a great breakfast. I think Matt took down 3 pancakes, 4 pieces of french toast, eggs, homefries and some fruit...I am probably forgetting something but you get the idea.
After we filled ourselves we went to Gunstock Mountain Resort for packet pickup and my FIRST pro athlete meeting but first it was to packet pick up. It was exciting to skip the AG line and head right to the Pro packet pickup and flash my Elite card! Right after I went to the meeting...when I first got there it was only Heather Wurtele(the eventual winner!!) and me. We started chatting it up about the course and little by little the other pros strolled in. After a pretty uneventful pro meeting(not really different than any other pre-race meeting) it started to sink in that I would be racing all of these guys the next day. I was both excited and nervous for the next day!!
After getting a nice easy run and swim at the race site I got my bike ready for the race. I wanted to drop the bike off and have one less thing to worry about the rest of the evening (even though I could have brought it in race morning). Once the bike was all set up with my lucky #7 as my number I headed out with Chels to go watch the new Batman movie....The Dark Night Rises. Matt Curbeau ended up joining us for the movie as well....I think that Chels and I now have a new pre-race routine with going to the movies! We ended up going to a movie at St. Anthonys, NYC tri and now Timberman 70.3. We all enjoyed the movie and if you have not see it yet I highly recommend it!
Race Day:
My beautiful Felt B2 Di2
At 3:35 am the alarm went off....after a great night sleep at the Dix lakehouse I woke up to temps in the low 50's and a nice light wind. After eating a good breakfast and driving to the race site I got into transition to set everything up for the day ahead. After putting on my Powerbar Nutrition (Gels, and Ironman Perform lemon lime), getting the Quarq powermeter ready, and everything else I was ready to leave transition to head towards the lake.
The constant struggle to put on the wetsuit--a 72 degree water temp made my morning!!
A nice pre-race warm-up
My beautiful wife Chelsea and I pre-race
I had worked hard, ate right, slept right, did my homework for the course now was the fun part...executing my race plan with which coach Dan and I had set out! This was my first Pro race and I was going to give it everything I had. After the pre-race swim and National Anthem the race was ready to start....
And we are off.....
The swim went out pretty quickly and I did everything I could to jump on feet to those ahead. I was able to stay in contact for the first 2 buoys then I started to lose them. After reaching the first turn buoy with a few swimmers still in sight I was blinded by the sun and sighting became especially diffcult. After making it to the last turn buoy I was engulfed by the 3 woman leaders....they came flying by me but I managed to hop in their slip stream for about 100meters. The last stretch seemed to last forever but I kept swimming strong and smooth while still trying to stay relaxed. Just as I reached the beach I was joined by a few other female pros who had started 2 mins behind me. I ended up getting out of the water in 30:08...a new PR by 22 seconds over Rev3 Quassy....but still a long way from where I need to be....After a decently quick transition I hoped on the bike and started to roll.....
My HR after getting onto the bike was pretty high for me...high 160's/low 170's and it didnt help right out of transition was a nice hill. After about 20-25 mins the HR went down and I finally was starting to get into a rhythym. I was going pretty well but was not managing to hit my pre-race power. I just stayed patient and tried to just keep rolling....around mile 18-20 I passed the first male pro then shortly after I passed Heather Wurtele. She had a nice lead after a great swim and was looking strong on the bike. Around mile 40, I came up on 3 other males and was able to work by them over the next few miles. I was happy to be getting into contact with the other male pros at this time....staying patient and starting to produce more power the race was coming together. I ended up reaching T2 well fueled and hydrated headed out onto the run...overall I was satisfied with the bike but nothing that extraordinary. Bike split...2:20:17 or 23.96MPH
preparing to dismount and enter T2
After a little mix up in not trying to find my garmin I was on my way to start the 13.1 mile run. I was feeling pretty good from the start and was looking forward to seeing who I could reel in on the run. At the first turn around on loop 1 of 2, I saw 1 Pro within sight with others pretty far ahead. I still had to stay patient and run my race. I was holding right around 6:00 pace per mile ....by the end of the first loop I was only 14 secs down from the runner in front of me.....
I ended up passing him about 1 mile into the second lap and started to look up to find others to catch. I was still feeling decent but was starting to have to dig deeper to hold close to 6 mins pace. After still churning the whole way to the finish I was unable to catch anyone else. Overall I was happy with the run as I ran 1:20:32 for the half marathon for a 6:08 pace.
Sporting the new TowPath Bike Visor!!
Overall Finish: 9th Male Pro, 4:14:32. I am pretty happy with this as this race is only my 2nd full half IM as the Rev3 Quassy back in June was my first one where I won the overall Amateur race which allowed me to turn Pro. I learned a lot from this race and know what things to work on.
Both of my buddies did really well today as well!
Matt Curbeau was 3rd Overall, 1st in his AG with a time of 4:16:56--He Earned his Pro Card by finishing top 3 ...I wish him best of luck as he takes on Ironman 70.3 Worlds in vegas then IM World Champs in Kona shortly after!
Mike Hoffman finished 4th in his AG with a 4:31:13 earning him a slot to the 2013 Ironman 70.3 Worlds!
Relaxing with my dad post race- Thanks Dad for traveling all over the country and supporting me over the years and for years to come!
Thanks to my wonderful wife Chelsea for all of the pictures, all of the support and putting up with all of my training.
Thanks again to all my sponsors as well! I am looking forward to the next races ahead....Fingerlakes Sprint tri, Ironman Pocono 70.3 and Rev3 Florida Half to close out the season.
Stay safe out there, train smart and enjoy life!


.jpg)
Nice work buddy. Keep up the good work
ReplyDeleteCheers,
-TG
Thomas Gerlach
Professional Triathlete
www.thomasgerlach.com
Congrats on a great race, Steve! Looks like a solid performance. Loved the recap and photos, too. Keep getting after it!
ReplyDelete